Results 1 to 37 of 37
Question about hoarse voice
  1. #1
    Cheri Guest

    Default Question about hoarse voice

    Since quitting smoking almost 3 weeks ago now, my voice gets really
    hoarse in the afternoon, which it never did before, and I don't
    remember that happening in the past. Is that usual? Have any of you
    experienced it? If you have, how long does is last. My throat is not
    sore, my voice is just hoarse. TIA

    --
    Cheri



  2. #2
    Edna Pearl Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    Normal normal normal. The cilia in your windpipe and your vocal chords are
    trying to get used to not being paralyzed by tobacco smoke. Everybody is
    different as to how long it takes to pass. Do get some over-the-counter
    lozenges, like Sucrets (my favorite) or Ricola or your lozenge of choice to
    help moisturize your throat tissues. Don't talk unnecessarily, and keep
    your voice low, i.e., spoil yourself, vocal-wise. You deserve it! And
    drink lots and lots of water! Remember that sleep is your friend during
    this period -- sleep is when we heal, and your throat and cilia and sinuses
    need to get used to not being dosed with poison.

    You're doing great! Congratulations! You are doing exactly the right thing
    to post whenever you have question like this. You get reassurance that
    you're doing fine, and we get to feel like we're of some use :-)

    ep ooooooooof


    "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message
    news:[email protected] ..
    > Since quitting smoking almost 3 weeks ago now, my voice gets really
    > hoarse in the afternoon, which it never did before, and I don't
    > remember that happening in the past. Is that usual? Have any of you
    > experienced it? If you have, how long does is last. My throat is not
    > sore, my voice is just hoarse. TIA
    >
    > --
    > Cheri
    >
    >




  3. #3
    writer272002 Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    Yes, it is totally normal. I kind of wondered about it too, because I
    had a little of that just after I quit.
    EP is right. Post with questions. Because any one of us have had some
    weird quitting side effect. Have you gotten in on the sexy dreams
    conversations from the patch?


    Ashley

  4. #4
    Tiger_Lily Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    writer272002 wrote:
    > Yes, it is totally normal. I kind of wondered about it too, because I
    > had a little of that just after I quit.
    > EP is right. Post with questions. Because any one of us have had some
    > weird quitting side effect. Have you gotten in on the sexy dreams
    > conversations from the patch?
    >
    >
    > Ashley

    hey, all i got was NIGHTMARES from the patch

    which brand do i need to change to???

    --
    kate

  5. #5
    Cheri Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    Thanks for the answer, that makes sense to me. Believe me, you're all
    of a great deal of use in trying to beat this thing. Nothing like
    people who have been there to tell it like it is. :-)

    Cheri

    Two weeks, four days, 5 hours, 39 minutes and 38 seconds. 547
    cigarettes not smoked, saving $123.09. Life saved: 1 day, 21 hours, 35
    minutes.



    Edna Pearl wrote in message ...
    >Normal normal normal. The cilia in your windpipe and your vocal

    chords are
    >trying to get used to not being paralyzed by tobacco smoke.

    Everybody is
    >different as to how long it takes to pass. Do get some

    over-the-counter
    >lozenges, like Sucrets (my favorite) or Ricola or your lozenge of

    choice to
    >help moisturize your throat tissues. Don't talk unnecessarily, and

    keep
    >your voice low, i.e., spoil yourself, vocal-wise. You deserve it!

    And
    >drink lots and lots of water! Remember that sleep is your friend

    during
    >this period -- sleep is when we heal, and your throat and cilia and

    sinuses
    >need to get used to not being dosed with poison.
    >
    >You're doing great! Congratulations! You are doing exactly the

    right thing
    >to post whenever you have question like this. You get reassurance

    that
    >you're doing fine, and we get to feel like we're of some use :-)
    >
    >ep ooooooooof
    >
    >
    >"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected] ...
    >> Since quitting smoking almost 3 weeks ago now, my voice gets really
    >> hoarse in the afternoon, which it never did before, and I don't
    >> remember that happening in the past. Is that usual? Have any of you
    >> experienced it? If you have, how long does is last. My throat is

    not
    >> sore, my voice is just hoarse. TIA
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheri
    >>
    >>

    >
    >




  6. #6
    writer272002 Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice


    >
    > hey, all i got was NIGHTMARES from the patch
    >
    > which brand do i need to change to???
    >

    I hear you, Kate. I never had the sexy dreams. I just dreamed my ex-
    husband was moving in next door. I was robbed.


    Ashley

  7. #7
    kestrel Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    On Aug 16, 9:38�pm, Tiger_Lily <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
    > writer272002 wrote:
    > > Yes, it is totally normal. I kind of wondered about it too, because I
    > > had a little of that just after I quit.
    > > EP is right. Post with questions. Because any one of us have had some
    > > weird quitting side effect. Have you gotten in on the sexy dreams
    > > conversations from the patch?

    >
    > >
    > > Ashley

    >
    > hey, all i got was NIGHTMARES from the patch
    >
    > which brand do i need to change to???
    >
    > --
    > kate


    Oh, Boy!!! Did I have nightmares while on the patch!!! Now remember
    that I was using the patch more than 10 years ago, so there may be
    some difference between your experience and mine. But as I remember
    those days, my nightmares were all about the alien creatures in the
    Alien movies, starring Sigourney Weaver. And no, she was not the
    alien. The alien was some unusually creepy critter with claws and
    fangs and really ugly scaly skin. My dreams woke me up a few times,
    but it all calmed down pretty quickly.

    It doesn't matter which brand of patch you use. The visual effects, I
    think, are pretty much the same. It's all so long ago now, I never
    think about it until I am reminded of those bad old days.

    Forget the nightmares. Stay true to your quit. You are better than a
    pack of stinking weeds.

    Joyce
    10 years+

  8. #8
    Cheri Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice


    kestrel wrote in message ...


    Oh, Boy!!! Did I have nightmares while on the patch!!! Now remember
    that I was using the patch more than 10 years ago, so there may be
    some difference between your experience and mine. But as I remember

    *************

    The patches did not work well for me, but I didn't have any wierd
    dreams. I didn't have any strange dreams with Chantix either, but I
    did have insomnia. :-)

    Cheri



  9. #9
    Marvin The Paranoid Android Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    Tiger_Lily wrote:
    > writer272002 wrote:
    >> Yes, it is totally normal. I kind of wondered about it too, because I
    >> had a little of that just after I quit.
    >> EP is right. Post with questions. Because any one of us have had some
    >> weird quitting side effect. Have you gotten in on the sexy dreams
    >> conversations from the patch?
    >>
    >>
    >> Ashley

    > hey, all i got was NIGHTMARES from the patch
    >
    > which brand do i need to change to???
    >


    Trojan brand.

    --
    I don't smoke. I smell like bread. Life is Good.

  10. #10
    readandpost Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    On Aug 16, 6:53*pm, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:
    > Since quitting smoking almost 3 weeks ago now, my voice gets really
    > hoarse in the afternoon, which it never did before, and I don't
    > remember that happening in the past. Is that usual? Have any of you
    > experienced it? If you have, how long does is last. My throat is not
    > sore, my voice is just hoarse. TIA
    >
    > --
    > Cheri


    yes, cheri, that is pretty normal.
    my voice got quite raspy for awhile as the TAR and multiple chemicals
    left my system.
    i had a very low voice for many years. (due to smoking) and after
    about a year of repair, my voice actually came up a register.
    it was amazing.
    i don't miss the smoking, but i did love that low raspy voice!

    lots of fluids girl!

    rosie

  11. #11
    Cheri Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    Thanks Rosie. :-)

    Cheri


    readandpost wrote in message ...


    yes, cheri, that is pretty normal.
    my voice got quite raspy for awhile as the TAR and multiple chemicals
    left my system.
    i had a very low voice for many years. (due to smoking) and after
    about a year of repair, my voice actually came up a register.
    it was amazing.
    i don't miss the smoking, but i did love that low raspy voice!

    lots of fluids girl!

    rosie



  12. #12
    Ian Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice


    I've had this throat thing for some 3 or 4 weeks now, but I thought it
    was from that dose of diesel exhaust I got down me when the car I was in
    got stuck behind a truck.
    So that would mean the onset was about 4 months after I gave up smoking,
    April 1st.
    Yesterday I spoke on the phone to my sister in England, for maybe an
    hour or more,
    and as usual my throat, or larynx possibly, began to play up and made
    speaking difficult.
    I've been pouring honey down my throat and it does seem to soothe it a
    bit. I also use a little inhaler thing my doctor gave me, and of course
    the nebulizer twice a day. My throat, lungs and chest *should* be in
    superb order by now....
    And Lord, I'm developing a huge pot belly now, from all that eating. This
    is unprecedented and rather horrible.

    --
    Ian
    ..Just call me Fatty

  13. #13
    Anne D. Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice


    "Tiger_Lily" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > hey, all i got was NIGHTMARES from the patch
    >
    > which brand do i need to change to???
    >
    > --
    > kate


    I got nightmares from the patch too. Take it off an hour before you go to
    bed and put a new one on in the morning.

    AnneDDD - sexy dream deprived



  14. #14
    Edna Pearl Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > My throat, lungs and chest *should* be in
    > superb order by now....


    Not necessarily. Some people take weeks or months before they stop having
    respiratory issues related to quitting.




  15. #15
    Ian Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    [email protected] wrote:

    > "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    > > My throat, lungs and chest *should* be in
    > > superb order by now....

    >
    > Not necessarily. Some people take weeks or months before they stop having
    > respiratory issues related to quitting.


    I think I'll be one of them! YOu can't expect the results of 48 years
    of breathing in smoke to vanish in a matter of weeks. I'm just
    astonished I can still breathe at all after that long-running abuse.
    It's noticeable though, I hardly cough at all now, where six months ago,
    I was afflicted with a real smoker's cough, very frequent, and coughing
    up some really solid stuff first thing in the morning too, which is a
    thing of the past now.
    I don't really fancy going back to being like that, to be honest.
    --
    Ian
    Five months - well, almost!

  16. #16
    Lynn Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    I was thinking the same thing!! scary
    --
    Lynn VOF+ Leaper
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them."



    "Marvin The Paranoid Android" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:48a806eb$0$19694$[email protected] ster.com...
    > Trojan brand.
    >
    > --
    > I don't smoke. I smell like bread. Life is Good.




  17. #17
    Lynn Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    Trojan, LifeStyles
    --
    Lynn VOF+ Leaper
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them."



    "Tiger_Lily" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > which brand do i need to change to???
    >
    > --
    > kate




  18. #18
    BryBz Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    On Aug 16, 6:53*pm, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:
    > My throat is not
    > sore, my voice is just hoarse. TIA


    How is everything today Cheri?

    Havent had the hoarse voice yet but developed a scratchy throat
    morning of Day #9. It continues Day #10. Doesn't hurt, just scratchy
    and slightly irritated when swallowing.

  19. #19
    Cheri Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice


    BryBz wrote in message
    <[email protected]>...
    On Aug 16, 6:53 pm, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:
    > My throat is not
    > sore, my voice is just hoarse. TIA


    How is everything today Cheri?

    Havent had the hoarse voice yet but developed a scratchy throat
    morning of Day #9. It continues Day #10. Doesn't hurt, just scratchy
    and slightly irritated when swallowing.
    ******

    Mine is much better today, not giving out when talking etc., but
    yes...I did have that scratchy throat and irritated at about the same
    time you're experiencing it and it lasted until just a day or so ago.
    Just think of the rewards, and it will all be worth it.
    Congratulations on 10 days, I am proud of both of us, and everyone
    here. :-)

    Cheri

    Two weeks, five days, 20 hours, 56 minutes and 8 seconds. 596
    cigarettes not smoked, saving $134.14. Life saved: 2 days, 1 hour, 40
    minutes.





  20. #20
    Cheri Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice


    BryBz wrote in message
    <[email protected]>...
    On Aug 18, 12:57 pm, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:
    > Mine is much better today, not giving out when talking etc.


    That is just great Cheri! But take your time with it and be gentle to
    yourself. Tea with honey can be very nice, soothing to everything in
    your throat, even if not sore. I think I saw someone advise keeping
    lozenges handy. Kinda' hope my voice changes, because I can't sing at
    all and would love to ;-)

    I am not coughing up stuff like I thought I would...it bothers me
    because i want this **** out of my body forever. All the websites
    indicate increase in productive coughing and getting rid of mucus...so
    far, nothing more than usual while I was smoking. Nothing "tar-like"
    either. I want results!!! lol

    ************

    I think productive coughing will come in another week or so for you
    and you will feel results.

    Cheri



  21. #21
    BryBz Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    On Aug 18, 12:57*pm, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:
    > Mine is much better today, not giving out when talking etc.


    That is just great Cheri! But take your time with it and be gentle to
    yourself. Tea with honey can be very nice, soothing to everything in
    your throat, even if not sore. I think I saw someone advise keeping
    lozenges handy. Kinda' hope my voice changes, because I can't sing at
    all and would love to ;-)

    I am not coughing up stuff like I thought I would...it bothers me
    because i want this **** out of my body forever. All the websites
    indicate increase in productive coughing and getting rid of mucus...so
    far, nothing more than usual while I was smoking. Nothing "tar-like"
    either. I want results!!! lol

  22. #22
    Edna Pearl Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    I didn't cough up gunk either when I quit this time. In fact, I was posting
    here saying I thought the whole "lung cookie" thing was a myth. Then
    someone offered to mail me one, and I said, "okay, never mind." :-D

    ep ooooooooof


    "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message
    news:[email protected] ..
    >
    > BryBz wrote in message
    > <[email protected]>...
    > On Aug 18, 12:57 pm, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:
    >> Mine is much better today, not giving out when talking etc.

    >
    > That is just great Cheri! But take your time with it and be gentle to
    > yourself. Tea with honey can be very nice, soothing to everything in
    > your throat, even if not sore. I think I saw someone advise keeping
    > lozenges handy. Kinda' hope my voice changes, because I can't sing at
    > all and would love to ;-)
    >
    > I am not coughing up stuff like I thought I would...it bothers me
    > because i want this **** out of my body forever. All the websites
    > indicate increase in productive coughing and getting rid of mucus...so
    > far, nothing more than usual while I was smoking. Nothing "tar-like"
    > either. I want results!!! lol
    >
    > ************
    >
    > I think productive coughing will come in another week or so for you
    > and you will feel results.
    >
    > Cheri
    >
    >




  23. #23
    Ian Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice


    I have an appointment at the doctor's on Wednesday, and shall tell him
    that this scratchy throat and recently the croaking voice after speaking for a
    time are more than likely a result of stopping smoking. He'd been unable
    to treat it except by giving me the little inhaler.
    I'll give this group a mention too, in case he should have other
    patients who've recently given up smoking or are thinking of it.
    It's been noticeably better today, possibly because it has rained
    steadily since last night and this may have washed the air pollution
    away. I'm convinced the filthy air here has exacerbated my chest and
    throat troubles.
    --
    Ian


  24. #24
    Lynn Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    I would assume at after 4-5 months the scratchy throat for quitting would
    of healed by now. you can mention to the doctor that you quit 5 months ago
    and thought it might be from quitting but let him be the final word. asthma
    or allergies are likely the culprit.
    When you get into a clean air place does it get better? maybe one of those
    air cleaners for your house or at least your bedroom might be of help
    --
    Lynn VOF+ Leaper
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them."



    "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    >
    > I have an appointment at the doctor's on Wednesday, and shall tell him
    > that this scratchy throat and recently the croaking voice after speaking
    > for a
    > time are more than likely a result of stopping smoking. He'd been unable
    > to treat it except by giving me the little inhaler.
    > I'll give this group a mention too, in case he should have other
    > patients who've recently given up smoking or are thinking of it.
    > It's been noticeably better today, possibly because it has rained
    > steadily since last night and this may have washed the air pollution
    > away. I'm convinced the filthy air here has exacerbated my chest and
    > throat troubles.
    > --
    > Ian
    >




  25. #25
    Lynn Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    You don't need to cough up junk to get rid of it your body can absorb it
    with you not even knowing. I didn't cough but had a more of a productive
    throat clearing that drove me nuts
    --
    Lynn VOF+ Leaper
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them."



    "BryBz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    I am not coughing up stuff like I thought I would...it bothers me
    because i want this **** out of my body forever. All the websites
    indicate increase in productive coughing and getting rid of mucus...so
    far, nothing more than usual while I was smoking. Nothing "tar-like"
    either. I want results!!! lol



  26. #26
    Edna Pearl Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    I'm going to state a contrary opinion, here. First, the lung-clearing
    process can take months, as I've already said and have seen repeatedly here
    at as3. (Indeed, we all have a deep and sad awareness that some of our quit
    buddies did not quit in time but did not discover that fact until months or
    YEARS later.) (My x-rays are clean, though I don't know how I managed it,
    as much and as long as I smoked. Luck of the draw, I guess.)

    Second, I have never personally encountered a doctor who knew jack ****
    about quitting smoking, and I've been the victim of many doctors who were
    almost as ignorant about other health issues as they are about smoking. I
    don't take doctors' word as the "last word" on anything whatsoever -- and
    especially about quitting smoking. You would not believe the moron advice
    that that not only *I* have received from doctors, but has also been
    reported by others here at as3. Doctors have said to as3 participants,
    e.g., "It's okay to smoke, just don't smoke too much -- just a couple a
    day." And "You're one of those people who just has to smoke, I guess." And
    "After the fourth day, it's all psychological. Get over it and move on with
    your life." Etc., etc.

    If you do have COPD (asthma, whatever), then the doctor is competent to
    write you a prescription, but that's about it. Go elsewhere to learn
    breathing exercises that will really enhance your life, COPD or not. Like
    respiratory therapists and Zen masters :-)

    ep ooooooooof


    "Lynn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:48a9edc3$0$4007$[email protected]..
    > I would assume at after 4-5 months the scratchy throat for quitting would
    > of healed by now. you can mention to the doctor that you quit 5 months ago
    > and thought it might be from quitting but let him be the final word.
    > asthma or allergies are likely the culprit.
    > When you get into a clean air place does it get better? maybe one of those
    > air cleaners for your house or at least your bedroom might be of help
    > --
    > Lynn VOF+ Leaper
    > "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them."
    >
    >
    >
    > "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]..
    >>
    >> I have an appointment at the doctor's on Wednesday, and shall tell him
    >> that this scratchy throat and recently the croaking voice after speaking
    >> for a
    >> time are more than likely a result of stopping smoking. He'd been unable
    >> to treat it except by giving me the little inhaler.
    >> I'll give this group a mention too, in case he should have other
    >> patients who've recently given up smoking or are thinking of it.
    >> It's been noticeably better today, possibly because it has rained
    >> steadily since last night and this may have washed the air pollution
    >> away. I'm convinced the filthy air here has exacerbated my chest and
    >> throat troubles.
    >> --
    >> Ian
    >>

    >
    >




  27. #27
    Lynn Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    point taken
    /me bows to the wise wisdom of Edna.
    Of course you are right a person needs to take responsibility for their own
    health care and find their own answers I just didn't want Ian's own health
    travels stopped at thinking it is only from quitting and not looking at
    other possible things his doctor might find.
    --
    Lynn VOF+ Leaper
    "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them."



    "Edna Pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:MPmqk.12322$[email protected]. .
    > I'm going to state a contrary opinion, here. First, the lung-clearing
    > process can take months, as I've already said and have seen repeatedly
    > here at as3. (Indeed, we all have a deep and sad awareness that some of
    > our quit buddies did not quit in time but did not discover that fact until
    > months or YEARS later.) (My x-rays are clean, though I don't know how I
    > managed it, as much and as long as I smoked. Luck of the draw, I guess.)
    >
    > Second, I have never personally encountered a doctor who knew jack ****
    > about quitting smoking, and I've been the victim of many doctors who were
    > almost as ignorant about other health issues as they are about smoking. I
    > don't take doctors' word as the "last word" on anything whatsoever -- and
    > especially about quitting smoking. You would not believe the moron advice
    > that that not only *I* have received from doctors, but has also been
    > reported by others here at as3. Doctors have said to as3 participants,
    > e.g., "It's okay to smoke, just don't smoke too much -- just a couple a
    > day." And "You're one of those people who just has to smoke, I guess."
    > And "After the fourth day, it's all psychological. Get over it and move
    > on with your life." Etc., etc.
    >
    > If you do have COPD (asthma, whatever), then the doctor is competent to
    > write you a prescription, but that's about it. Go elsewhere to learn
    > breathing exercises that will really enhance your life, COPD or not. Like
    > respiratory therapists and Zen masters :-)
    >
    > ep ooooooooof
    >
    >
    > "Lynn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:48a9edc3$0$4007$[email protected]..
    >> I would assume at after 4-5 months the scratchy throat for quitting would
    >> of healed by now. you can mention to the doctor that you quit 5 months
    >> ago and thought it might be from quitting but let him be the final word.
    >> asthma or allergies are likely the culprit.
    >> When you get into a clean air place does it get better? maybe one of
    >> those air cleaners for your house or at least your bedroom might be of
    >> help
    >> --
    >> Lynn VOF+ Leaper
    >> "Everyone seems normal until you get to know them."
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]..
    >>>
    >>> I have an appointment at the doctor's on Wednesday, and shall tell him
    >>> that this scratchy throat and recently the croaking voice after speaking
    >>> for a
    >>> time are more than likely a result of stopping smoking. He'd been unable
    >>> to treat it except by giving me the little inhaler.
    >>> I'll give this group a mention too, in case he should have other
    >>> patients who've recently given up smoking or are thinking of it.
    >>> It's been noticeably better today, possibly because it has rained
    >>> steadily since last night and this may have washed the air pollution
    >>> away. I'm convinced the filthy air here has exacerbated my chest and
    >>> throat troubles.
    >>> --
    >>> Ian
    >>>

    >>
    >>

    >
    >




  28. #28
    Edna Pearl Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    "Lynn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:48aa0245$0$4035$[email protected]..
    >I just didn't want Ian's own health travels stopped at thinking it is only
    >from quitting and not looking at other possible things his doctor might
    >find.


    Ah yes, I see your point as well, and it's a good one. Too many doctors
    might well send a patient home, saying "It's because you quit smoking," or
    "It's because you're overweight," or "It's because that sort of thing runs
    in your family," or whatever.

    We're good at the dialogue thing, here at as3, aren't we? The group works
    together.

    ep ooooooooof



  29. #29
    writer272002 Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice


    > I am not coughing up stuff like I thought I would...it bothers me
    > because i want this **** out of my body forever. *All the websites
    > indicate increase in productive coughing and getting rid of mucus...so
    > far, nothing more than usual while I was smoking. *Nothing "tar-like"
    > either. *I want results!!! *lol


    I never coughed up a damn thing. Which sort of bothered me, because I
    felt like you do -- I wanted it OUT. But gradually I started feeling
    better and could feel my lung capacity increasing. Cleared up on its
    own, I guess.

    So if you don't cough, don't worry.


    Ashley

    1 Year, 1 Month, 3 Weeks, 4 Days, 18 hours and 10 minutes (422 days).
    6,341 cigarettes not smoked, saving $1,188.99. LIfe saved: 3 Weeks, 1
    Day and 25 minutes.

  30. #30
    Jef. Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    "writer272002" wrote
    I never coughed up a damn thing. Which sort of bothered me, because I
    felt like you do -- I wanted it OUT. But gradually I started feeling
    better and could feel my lung capacity increasing. Cleared up on its
    own, I guess.

    So if you don't cough, don't worry.



    On the other hand, it *can* be a rather frightening experience...
    http://www.quitbuddies.org/cough.htm



  31. #31
    BryBz Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    Speaking of contrarian comments...Its been 20 years and it seems to me
    abnormal to walk away from that abuse with a minor scratchy throat.
    Everyone insisted and convinced me I was going to die 'tomorrow' from
    terminal stupidity. Alas, I turn out to be an ornery pill-popper with
    post-nasal drip and anxiety.


    Anyways...double digits tonight...
    10 days (and 15 minutes) smober

    night night

    - Bryan

  32. #32
    DavidL Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    On Aug 18, 9:29*pm, "Jef." <jefATquitbuddiesDOTorg> wrote:
    > "writer272002" wrote
    > I never coughed up a damn thing. Which sort of bothered me, because I
    > felt like you do -- I wanted it OUT. But gradually I started feeling
    > better and could feel my lung capacity increasing. Cleared up on its
    > own, I guess.
    >
    > So if you don't cough, don't worry.
    >
    > On the other hand, it *can* be a rather frightening experience...http://www.quitbuddies.org/cough.htm


    That's the Aztec Phlegm God isn't it?

  33. #33
    Ian Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    [email protected] wrote:

    > I would assume at after 4-5 months the scratchy throat for quitting would
    > of healed by now. you can mention to the doctor that you quit 5 months ago
    > and thought it might be from quitting but let him be the final word. asthma
    > or allergies are likely the culprit.
    > When you get into a clean air place does it get better? maybe one of those
    > air cleaners for your house or at least your bedroom might be of help


    I have an air cleaner I bought for my last house - four smokers
    including myself over some 17 years had soaked the place in smelly smoke!
    - but rarely use it here in the new place because the windows and doors
    are so well fitted it is impossible for the polluted outside air to get
    in.
    And the air conditioning system includes an electric filter as well as
    the ordinary one, so I'm in a pretty good environment in here.
    I think my throat is caused by a combination of factors, ceasing to
    smoke being a very possible one.
    There is no asthma but yes, Ft Worth, when the wind is from the
    southwest, is bombarded by various pollens and even many locals are hit
    by a kind of hay fever. I, being unused to these pollens and never having
    built up any immunity to them as I did to the British varieties, am
    affected by them; I only have to go
    out to the mailbox some days, and I return sneezing, and need to
    gargle with whatever liquid comes to hand.
    The last three days, it has rained almost non-stop so I imagine the air
    will be somewhat cleaner today. I had to make several phone cals
    yesterday and my voice held out throughout.
    --
    Ian


  34. #34
    Ian Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice


    Saw the doc this morning and he said the chest sounds great. Maybe I
    didn't completely ruin hem with foul smoke after all.
    The swelling of the ankles is another kettle offish, though. I might be
    on the diuretic tablets for life. Seems the blood is going down the
    legs but with ageing blood vessels, it isn't returning upwards too well.
    So spells in the rocker recliner with the feet elevated are indicated.
    He said there are elastic stockings that can help but I'll consider that
    a last resort; I don't fancy putting them on and taking them off each
    day, too fiddly.
    I showed him a print out of that ludicrous e-mail the Alex Mason lunatic
    sent me, and he was outraged. Said if there was ever any question of my
    abilities he would vouch for my mental status any day.
    And my new attorney called here this afternoon, and he too after reading
    the message, said without hesitation there would be no problem if my
    ability to live on my own here was ever questioned.
    He is to find out which State authority is responsible for licensing
    people to run these agencies and draw their attention to Mason. Seems
    to me this Mason creature might
    well be trying to con others as he tried to do with me with that 100
    dollars a day offer. And while I've knocked about long enough to cope
    with this kind of thing, there may be some who are more naive or easily
    flustered into parting with sizeable amounts.
    --
    Ian


  35. #35
    BZ Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    This just hit me today on Day 32 and I remembered this earlier thread
    from Cheri (looks like my memory is returning too).

    Its not from sore throat. Had that 2 weeks ago. Just a raspy, hoarse
    voice. I do prefer to speak in a low, quiet tone with this. Tonight
    drank green tea with honey for it.

    And more frequent, productive throat clearing.

    I guess it all makes sense and I am happy about it.

    Bryan


    On Aug 16, 7:53*pm, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:
    > Since quitting smoking almost 3 weeks ago now, my voice gets reallyhoarsein the afternoon, which it never did before, and I don't
    > remember that happening in the past. Is that usual? Have any of you
    > experienced it? If you have, how long does is last. My throat is not
    > sore, my voice is justhoarse. TIA
    >
    > --
    > Cheri



  36. #36
    eightpans Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    On 17 Aug, 00:53, "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote:
    > Since quitting smoking almost 3 weeks ago now, my voice gets really
    > hoarse in the afternoon, which it never did before, and I don't
    > remember that happening in the past. Is that usual? Have any of you
    > experienced it? If you have, how long does is last. My throat is not
    > sore, my voice is just hoarse. TIA
    >
    > --
    > Cheri


    Hi Sexy voice ehem! I mean Cheri, it's all good from now on Cheri
    your body is just getting rid of all the toxic stuff My voice is deep
    anyhow and as I remember it went something like a braying donkey, but
    it soon passed. 3 weeks top effort you got it going there. Keep at it.
    Regards Chris
    2Y 9M

  37. #37
    Ian Guest

    Default Re: Question about hoarse voice

    [email protected] wrote:

    > This just hit me today on Day 32 and I remembered this earlier thread
    > from Cheri (looks like my memory is returning too).
    >
    > Its not from sore throat. Had that 2 weeks ago. Just a raspy, hoarse
    > voice. I do prefer to speak in a low, quiet tone with this. Tonight
    > drank green tea with honey for it.
    >
    > And more frequent, productive throat clearing.
    >
    > I guess it all makes sense and I am happy about it.
    >
    > Bryan


    It seems to be a common phenomenon, to judge from the f/ups to the
    original message.
    I did get an itchy throat some 3 or 4 weeks after the stopping date,
    but as I was taking some medicine or other I suspected it might have been
    a side effect of that.
    Now, some weeks after inhaling some foul diesel exhaust fumes,
    something is wrong with my throat so that if I speak for more than a few
    sentences it becomes very difficult to talk any more. I think it must
    be some kind of infection in the larynx area but the inhaler the doctor
    prescribed doesn't seem to be clearing it up any.
    Fortunately my life now is such that I rarely have to speak for long.
    --
    Ian


Similar Threads

  1. The Nicotine Voice was silenced, then...
    By ChrisC in forum alt.support.stop-smoking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-19-2008, 07:24 PM
  2. OT Voice commands
    By Sparky in forum alt.support.stop-smoking
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-16-2008, 08:14 AM
  3. Steve Reeves' voice
    By HiC in forum misc.fitness.weights
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-07-2008, 01:38 AM
  4. Voice Hearing Groups
    By news.east.cox.net in forum alt.support.schizophrenia
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2007, 05:13 PM
  5. voice recognition and us
    By ce33 in forum alt.support.arthritis
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-04-2007, 05:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28